Re: Wood mounts

Hi Kent,

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Kent Vander Velden by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <graphix-at-iastate.edu>

>   A lot of the pictures that I have seen of Tesla coils have
> connectors, wires, bolts, etc. mounted on wood.  Am I the only
> person that has had trouble with a carbon track forming inside
> the wood sorting things out?  Do most people use a protective
> sleeve of some kind?
>
>   Thanks.
>
> ---
> Kent Vander Velden
> kent-at-iastate.edu

I've had troubles with carbon tracking through wood (mainly because of not
thinking). There are a lot of
areas which will not have a problem using wood, but at places like the
spark gap and primary, something
must be done to prevent the path through the wood. Basically, find a way to
insulate wooden structures
from hv lines, brackets, primary, etc..

My primary is oak, however, I use a plexiglas insulated strip between
primary and runners and use
tie-wraps to hold the primary in place. I've once used wood in a spark gap
(never again).

Here's a photo of my primary:
http://www.classictesla-dot-com/photos/tgk/21.jpg

--