Re: PVC and oil, mmc enclosures

Original poster: "R Heidlebaugh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rheidlebaugh-at-zialink-dot-com>

on 11/12/01 11:46 AM, Tesla list at tesla-at-pupman-dot-com wrote:

> Original poster: "Jonathan Peakall by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <jpeakall-at-mcn-dot-org>
>
> Hi all,
>
> I am building an MMC and, as always, have a few questions...
>
> I have heard that filling PVC pipe with oil always leaks. Is this true? Is it
> the glue joints that tend to fail, and if so, could epoxy or polyester resin
> be
> used to glue end caps on to prevent this? What about a PVC enclosure flushed
> with an inert gas? I would prefer oil for cooling purposes.
>
> I have seen several breadboard style MMCs, and they look hard to replace an
> individual cap. Any arrangement ideas out there that allow easy repair?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jonathan Peakall

PVC is bonded with a solvent glue. If oil touches the glue before the
solvent is gone oil will replace the solvent and leek. I use excess glue on
each joint and let it evaporate in a warm place for 2 days before I let the
oil touch the joint.
    Robert  H