RE: PVC and oil, mmc enclosures

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

The greatest advance in amateur Tesla Coiling was the use of MMC's,
eliminating the bulky and messy necessity of oil immersion.  An MMC does
not need oil for corona suppression or for thermal heat-sinking.  If
your caps get hot (and they shouldn't), they'll get hot in oil too - you
just won't know it until they pop.

How hard is it to replace an MMC cap?  Clip and unsolder two leads, put
the new guy in and solder.  More difficult would be if they were sealed
in a PCV container of oil...

Gary Lau
MA, USA

>Original poster: "Jonathan Peakall by way of Terry Fritz "
>
>Hi all,
>
>I am building an MMC and, as always, have a few questions...
>
>I have heard that filling PVC pipe with oil always leaks. Is this true?
Is it
>the glue joints that tend to fail, and if so, could epoxy or polyester
resin
be