alternative bleeder resistor wiring?

Original poster: "Bill Vanyo by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <vanyo-at-echoes-dot-net>

Finally got my geek group caps, and I'll be constructing a 9 string of
11 caps each MMC (8 by 11 for 15/240 NST, LTR with sync gap (triggered),
and a spare string).  I still haven't decided exactly how I'll arrange
the caps, but one problem is that my bleeder resistors (10MegOhm 1/2
Watt from allelectronics) are barely longer (with leads) than the caps
themselves, making construction difficult  without soldering a little
bit of wire for each resistor

I once saw a jpeg of an MMC that had the bleeder resistors wired
slightly differently than usual.  Can't seem to find the page, but the
caps were cylindrical, like the geek group caps, though maybe yellow,
and the caps were closely packed in each string.  Anyway, the bleeder
resistors were wired not across each cap in the string, but across each
pair of caps in the string, as follows (the Z's represent resistors;
you'll need a fixed width font for this) -

    +---)|---+
    |        |
    Z        |
    |        |
    +---|(---+
    |        |
    |        |
    +---)|---+
    |        |
    Z        |
    |        |
    +---|(---+
    |        |
    |        |
    +---)|---+
    |        |
    Z        |
    |        |

It would be easier to wire.  For instance, in a construction like on the
geek group site:
http://www.thegeekgroup-dot-org/projects/12kVMMC/12kVMMC.html
all the resistors could be wired on the outside.

The only question is, does it work?  Is it safe, for me and my caps?

Another question: How close can I safely bend the cap leads against the
ends of the cap?

	Thanks,
	Bill Vanyo