Re: Ballast (fwd)

Original poster: Tesla List Moderator <mod1-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 18:09:27 -0000
From: Jason <jasonp-at-btinternet-dot-com>
To: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Ballast

Mark,

> I was planning on removing the secondary winding from the core when I cut
the
> welds to make the gap in it.
Yeah thats what I do

> So you think that if I just used the already
> existing primary it would get too hot? What size wire should I use then to
keep
> it from getting too hot?
I think you've got confused... Cut off the welds, and hit the secondary with
a hammer and chisel till the primary falls off, then just cut off the rest
of the secondary and the thick 10V winding. Do this to 2 identical MOT cores
and gap them both with bits of 5mm acrylic - on mine this ballasts to around
8A. With 2 of these gapped mots in paralell you should get around 16A.

I would recommend running them in oil, or even under water (yes it does
work, just dont touch the water when it is running) because they can get
really hot.

Do you have a spare variac? You could make a very good adjustable ballast
with one...

Kind regards,
Jason