Re: HV diodes

Original poster: "Matthew Smith by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Hi Jonathan

Depends what you mean by cheap...  Philips produces the BY8400 series.
Typical example: the BY8410 has V[RRM]=10kV, I[F(AV)=5mA and costs $1.80
(Australian) from Farnell.  The range goes up to higher voltages
(V[RRM]=24kV), but if you want higher currents, I can only suggest using
a load of low V / high I diodes in series.

Note - these diodes should be potted or used in oil - they're rather
small and would flash over.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Matthew Smith