Re: Winding Transformers

Original poster: "Bob Bozarth by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jbdetails-at-prodigy-dot-net>

    I have 2 transformers, one is a big welder transformer (230V/480V 35Amp
input, 35V 300Amp output 100% duty cycle), the other is a plasma arc
transformer (1ph/3ph 230V 3ph 480V, no specs on output) . I would also like
to hook it up the welder to get some high voltage. I'm not sure what kind of
voltage the plasma arc tranny was built to put out for regular use. Because
it's a "plasma" machine, I'm guessing it's a step up tranny. Neither of the
transformers worked when I got them, so I'm not sure what to do with them
yet. I've thought about taking the welder apart (cutting the core to utilize
1 of the 3 sets of coils)to use it as one, possible two power sources for a
110 or 220 single phase setup, (which is all I have at my home). I have the
tools to cut the 2"x13"x15" core. There is plenty of room to cut. My problem
is, there are to many wires sticking out of the inner coils that are wrapped
around the outer wire(big square wire 3/16"x3/8"). I think I saw 6 small
wires on one side on the bottom, then two at the top side. Maybe a couple
more on the other side. If I'm confusing anyone who reads this as much as
I'm doing it to myself, I apologize.
    Is there a way to check which wires are which? If so, is there a way to
hook it up to a single phase 220V. I have plenty of power coming right from
my meter box. I could install a 200 Amp breaker if I wanted to. The Plasma
arc came with alot of misc. items: (9) 60uf 370 volt capacitors,a 3000 volt
30ma luminescent sign transformer (not potted), and several other doodads.

    Bob Bozarth
        Experimenter