Re: 555 timer

Tesla list wrote:

<Kidd6488-at-aol-dot-com>

> Ok, I've heard a lot about these things, and they seem like an interesting
> tool. I want to know more about them. First of all, where can I get one,
Radio Shack has them.

 and
> how much do they cost?
About a dollar or so.
 Second of all, how do they work, and how do you hook
> them up?
Do a web search for 555 and you'll turn up lots and lots of info.  Start
with the data sheet and applications notes in the data sheet.

They have 8 pins, correct? or are only 8 used.

8 pins for the standard 555. Not all get used in every application.

 Is it capacitance or
> resistance the determines the timing? I hope to use these to have an
automatic
> duty cycle.

Both