Bombarder XFMR

Original poster: "MakingLightning by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <makinglightning-at-home-dot-com>

I have a thing called a bombarder transformer. It was used in a neon shop.
It is an open air transformer that is rated at 7.5 KW 30KV. It is used with
a variable slide type choke.

I was thinking of only putting 120v on the primary and only getting 15kv out
and using that with a cap that I already own for that voltage. If I ran it
at 30kv, I would have to invest in a new cap. I plan on using this on an 8"
coil.

Is anyone on the list familiar with this type of a transformer? Is it
temperamental and prone to self destruction like a neon transformer, or is
it more robust and not need much protection?

Thanks for input if you have it,
Kevin