Re: Pole Xfrmer, what is the best voltage choice???.....

In a message dated 10/31/01 11:36:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> I've purchased another 14400/5kva like the one I sold a few years back. Now
I'
>  having second thoughts about the voltage.A few years back I remember seeing
>  Mark Graalmans "Pandora" coil performing very well with a 7500v or so
>  transformer.....this lower voltage makes cap construction a bit easier, my
> last
>  coil used the tcbor 60mil rolls....and I held my variac to 200v for 12kv
> the
>  caps, but I've read even then they are on the limit......60mil would have
an
>  easy time at 7600v...........should I keep the 14400 or trade for a 7600???
>  Whats the pros and cons????....It will be used for a 8" to 10" dia. coil
>  THANKYOU!!!!!!!

I'd say definitely use the higher voltage.  If you use the higher
(double) voltage, the cap value can be just 1/4 the value, for
the same overall bang size.  So the capacitor will
actually be no larger, (use two physically smaller caps in
series), and you'll get the tremendous advantages
that higher voltage operation provides, (fewer gap problems,
lower gap losses, etc.)

John