Re: Variac current and VA rating

Original poster: "Mark Broker by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <broker-at-uwplatt.edu>

Pete,

A variac can be run intermittently for roughly double the current.  I run about
16-17A through my 10A variac for several minutes at a time with little
heating.  All manufacturers tend to put a decent safety factor (usually around
2) into their calcs.  If you find that the variac is getting excessively warm,
put a muffin fan on it to aid cooling.

Mark Broker
G-5 Geek #10

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Pete Komen by way of Terry Fritz
<mailto:twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"