Re: I wonder ...

In a message dated 5/30/01 12:03:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> * No safety gaps
>
>  * No form of filtering or kickback suppresion (such as Terry's filter)
>
>  * A perfectly resonant MMC cap value (measured .010663uF), made evident by
>  the LOUD 60Hz hum, heard above the rest of the coil noise and gap firing at
>  15VAC input from variac (serious resonance)
>
>  * Spark gap out to .4" on every run, sometimes to 1/2"
>
>  I think most people on this list agree that this is asking for problems.

Justin, Garry,

I too have run Jefferson Magneteks in this mode, for a couple years
with no failures.  My cap was slightly larger than reso at 7nF for a
12/30 nst.  I eventually added a safety gap and a LTR cap to be
safer.  I used a sync gap at 120 bps and got 42" sparks from the
coil powered by that NST.  One just never knows how long an NST
will last.

John Freau