Re: Brass Ball static spark gap not doing so well

In a message dated 5/27/01 12:17:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> > Is a multiple small gaps spark gap better than a single gap?  Which has
>  > greater losses?  Which has the most consistent firing voltage?  Is there
>  > spark gap that lasts longer between cleanings?  Is there an optimum
static
>  > spark gap?
>  >
>  > I hope that I am not bringing up something covered already.
>  >
>  > Regards,
>  >
>  > Pete

Pete,

Multiple gaps quench better without air, but with enough air flow,
single gaps can work very well.  Gary Lau's design is an example
of an excellent single static gap quenched by air flowing out of the
hollow gap electrodes.  Theoretically, there's less loss with a single
gap, but the particular TC setup (primary impedance, etc), may
affect the practical realities of this.  I've had poor results with brass
also (too much pitting).  I much prefer pure copper.  However I have
found silver to be much better (it never needs cleaning).  However,
I've never run the silver above a kilowatt, so I don't know how it will
perform at higher powers.  The old standard is tungsten which I've
never tried, but folks insist it is the best overall because its so
durable.

John Freau