Re: Sync RSG instability

In a message dated 5/25/01 3:21:19 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Hi John and all,
>  I have completed my phase adj. circuit and have used a timing light to see
>  the phase
>  in sync. However I'm reluctant to hook everything up to the coil and apply
>  the power
>  if there is the possibility that when I go to adjust the phase that it
>  reaches this not so "sweet spot". The system consists of two 35kv .03
>  Maxwells for .06 and 4 15/60's.
>  Is there a way to set the variac to a position as such that my system
doesn'
>  go
>  nuclear?
>
>  Thanks,
>
>  Mike Church, (CHURCHMON)-at-aol

Mike,

There is a way to preset the phase to some degree.  I don't
remember the proper range at the moment because I usually
just start the coil at very low power using the main variac, then I
adjust the gap phase for best spark output.  Then I keep raising
the input power a little at a time using the main variac, and I keep
adjusting the phase each time to make sure it's at the best point.

John Freau