Re: Actual measurements MattD Coil - E-Tesla6 anomoly

Hi Matt,

At 07:49 AM 5/25/2001 -0400, you wrote:

>Hi Terry!
>        Thanks for all the work and the clear explanation. Yes, the strike
>rail is grounded. I am not sure about the calibration on my signal generator.
>It's got a logarithmic scale etched on a 8" metal disk. If I can get my son,
>the paging system tech, to visit soon with his high-$ Motorola Service
>Monitor (6-digit digital), I will rerun tests just to be sure .
>I have so far been unable to take any readings under full power. This has
>been the rainiest month of May in the history of W.Va. and the "Lab" floor
>leaks (Murphy's Law again).
>Again, thanks for the insight.
>
>Matt D.

So there is a chance the HP could be a bit off.  I always think of digital
things that are never off more than 0.01% ;-))

I would think that having the strike rail inside the sphere would be a
"bad" thing and there would be some roughness in the data very near to the
sphere and then when the rail is far outside the sphere things would fall
into line and be correct.

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/MattFeature.gif

In your data:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/MattData.gif

(GIF format for those that don't have Excel)

These anomalies are present but the measured data seems to track the rail
inside situation rather than the rail outside situation.  Since the
difference is only 4% that may be due to something else affecting the real
measurement (like the signal generator is a bit off).  These measurements
are not easy to take anyway to such high precision since so many things
affect the measurement.  I do note that my previous "bet" that the
frequency would be 287253.72 Hz at 16.5 inches does match you original and
test data almost perfectly ;-))  In any case, John's question about the two
toroids having significantly less capacitance, since they are close, is
well confirmed here.

I can't think of anyway to solve this problem aside from eliminating the
strike rail.  I could play with positions of things but it will always be
easy to come up with situations that would again cause problems.  I could
add a warning if the strike rail in interior to the sphere but that does
not really fix anything.  Given the physics of the program and the
restrictions of Gausses' law, Strike rails are going to be "messy" no
matter what.  I could contemplate fudge factors, but given the wide variety
of situations, I doubt a good number or equation could be found that would
always work.

So I think E-Tesla has it's first weakness.  Strike rails can cause error
(~4%) due to their position in relation to the Gaussean surface the program
uses to compute the system's capacitance.  Of course, there is a money back
guarantee ;-))

I "could" follow Bill Gates' idea and promise that it will work right with
Windows XP :-)))  Now I remember why I stay away from programming ;-)))

Cheers,

	Terry