Re: just a strange idea

In a message dated 5/24/01 10:30:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>  I think about John Freau's efficiency experiments. I wonder if 50Hz/60Hz is
>  the do all end all. I wonder if it is just a matter of matching the freq.
>  the end user, AKA the coil. What if one had a power source that would
>  prod8uce 180Hz? Would the efficiency still be related to the power supply?
>  Ideas?
>
>  later
>
>  deano

Deano,

I've looked at the efficiency both from the point of view of the input
power and from the charge on the cap.  This way, I was able to
apportion the efficiency contribution of the charging circut, and of the spark
growth characteristics.  By using equal "cap-watts" (joules x bps)
for both 120 and 240 bps, I still found 120 bps to produce longer
sparks than 240 bps.  If I remember correctly, most of the
efficiency resulted from the spark growth characteristics at 120
bps, rather than from the losses or other effects in the charging circuit.

John Freau