Re: a microwave is a gold mine

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ArcStarter3-at-aol-dot-com>

Fellow Coilers,

I have found that the local Appliance Repair Shop is a prime source for
microwaves and the like. The owner of the one I go to is very friendly and
has a large supply of microwaves, which he is more than happy to get rid of
(they take up space and he would have to pay someone to take them down to
the dump anyways, or take em down himself...) . However, if you do decide
to get some microwaves from the local shop, be prepared to take the entire
oven. I would also ask the owner if they have any stuff laying around that
they wouldn't mind donating; I have gotten a box full of new HV diodes,
transformers, caps, big relays, you name it, just by asking. See if you
can't talk them into holding onto junk for you, too. Last time I went, the
owner had a box FULL of magnetrons (at least 40...). I would have gotten
them, but my sister's car is really small and I didn't have any more
room... Maybe next time :-). If you don't mind spending some time, drive
around the day before trash pickup!
, !
you may get lucky. Alleyways usu
ally have a bunch of goodies too.