Re: PCB Question

make use of the fact that PCBs were used because they don't burn....  Try
to burn some. Transformer oil burns quite nicely.

The odor may be from all sorts of causes.. fungicide added to the liquid,
residue from the varnish or enamel on the wire or core, rosin dissolved off
of solder joints, etc.

And, of course, someone, in the past, may have actually mixed the two
insulating liquids... I don't think they are miscible though...