PCB Question

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

Hi all,

I have an old (circa 1945) x-ray transformer that I strongly
suspect has PCBs for the dielectric fluid. I have ran across
this same type of oily fluid before in another old transformer.
It looks like oil, but has a different odor than plain transformer
oil. However, the dictionary definition of PCB states that it is
in the from of a "toxic, colorless, odorless, vicous liquid form-
erly used as an insulator in electrical equipment" I was won-
dering if it was usually mixed with petroleum in electrical euip-
ment and thus the definite odor. And yes, I have gotten a little
bit on myself before when I took them apart to facilitate an in-
ternal repair :-(( Hopefully, my hair won't start falling out tomor-
row.

I've read that you can drop a drop of the fluid in question into
some water and if it floats, then in isn't PCB, as PCBs have
a higher specific gravity than water. However, I personally do
NOT suscribe to this as a sure-fire way to detect the presence/
absnece of PCBs as they may very well be mixed in with petro-
leum oil, which of course has a lower specific gravity than water.

Maybe some of the resident chemistry majors could comment
on this?

David Rieben