Re: Small number of turns in primary

Original poster: "albert hassick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <uncadoc-at-juno-dot-com>

Hi Bob, All.  We placed all our power into a 14ga. winding with a 12"
diameter concrete form secondary and were able to get immensely fat arcs
using a primary coil of only 1 and 1/2 turns.  The output was most
impressive!  We used a large barium titanate cap bank in conjunction with
this coil.  So yes, it can be done.   Al.

On Wed, 16 May 2001 18:33:19 -0600 "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
writes:
> <fsimms-at-ghg-dot-net>
>
> One advantage of having a low inductance with a few turns in the
> primary is
> that you get to use a larger cap. The larger the cap the more energy
> you can
> store in the cap to be discharged into the coil. This would take a
> very
> expensive capacitor though.  Finkelstein showed with a .6 coupling
> that the
> entire energy of the cap can be put into the coil in 3/4 of a cycle.
> This
> creates a monstrous bolt of energy. Jay did this with a coil he
> built which
> had
> a 120 turn 3 ft high secondary and a 4 turn primary. His secondary
> was about a
> foot in diameter. He generated single shot sparks that were as long
> as his arm
> and as thick. He used litz wire on his secondary to get the
> resistance down.
> His coil was set up to generate just a single shot. Jay used a
> static
> pressurized gap with Argon and sodium hexifluride gas. This gap is
> self
> quenching. He used carbon ball electrodes. Jay had 12 neon
> transformers
> driving
> a .06 uF 60kv cap that he had built for him.
>
> Bob

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/get/tagj.