Re: Secondary

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Dave,

On 14 May 01, at 21:49, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
> <davep-at-quik-dot-com>
>
> Tesla list wrote:
> >
> > Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>
> >
> > Hi Bob,
> >
> > On 14 May 01, at 11:21, Tesla list wrote:
> >
> > > Original poster: "SIMMS, F R. (JSC-EV4) (LM) by way of Terry Fritz
> > > <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <f.r.simms1-at-jsc.nasa.gov>
> > >
> > > If you look at Tesla's coils he used very few turns of heavy gauge
> > > wire. The reasons he use so few turns is that the voltage goes up
> > > by the Q and not the turns!!!!  The lower the resistance the
> > > higher the Q and hence the higher the Voltage.  I found this out
> > > trough my friend Jay Reed who found the highest tuning for a Tesla
> > > coil with mathmatics. The math was varified in the lab. His coil
> > > had the exact voltage and waveform his math predicted.
>
> > > Bob
>
> > I presume he was testing using a CW source?
>
>  It's a fair description of Tesla's Colorado Springs coil.
>  I'd call that a more or less classi Spark excited system.

The few turns of thick wire in all coils? Was that really the most
efficient system that could be built? Hands up all those who believe
Tesla hit 10MV. Are you suggesting that were that coil to be lossless
(i.e. Q being infinite) the output voltage would have been infinite
too?

>  (I've disrecalled what was used at Wardenclyffe?)
>
>  best
>  dwp

Not sure. I think for his transmission system he would have been
aiming for as close to CW as he could get.

Regards,
malcolm