Re: plastic homebrew caps

Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Sigma-6 has shop air!!!! (Chris does a happy dance)

>Original poster: "Ben Ziegler by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
><crossguy-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
>Hi all,
>
>In reading about MMC's, I think I recall that they use polypropelyne
>dielectrics?
>
>For my coil, I was thinking about a homebrew cap.  glass bottles are lossy,
>so, thinks I, why not use PETE, HDPE, or PP bottles instead of glass?  any
>input?
>
>ben z
>(who will willfully ignore any 'just buy an MMC already' replies from the
>Geeks :)

The Geek Group was one of the last of the first generation to be able to
afford an MMC, that's why we perfected an alternative.
Check out The Geek Group Bucket Cap, there are many posts about this in the
archives, with through instructions. It works great. Tesla himself used
Glass Bottle caps.

If you do use a different design for your bottle caps, I strongly suggest a
total submersion approach to the foil-wrapped designs. The bottles last
longer (less thermal shock), and a failed bottle in a foilwrap system is an
instant mess. This is not a problem with submerged designs.

The Geek Group Bucket Cap can be built for under $20, is infinately
ajustable, portable, and very durable. We have several that are over 2 years
old now and logged dozens of demonstrations (move, setup, fire, teardown,
move) with only a single bottle failure ever.

Have fun! Don't buy an MMC until you're ready, but get a shirt tonight! ;)
lol

Duck

btw,

1 Anyone have use for an X-ray spectrometer?

2 Could one of the older Ham Radio gurus out there please email me offlist?
I have to identify what appears to be a LARGE old tube transmitter. It's a
3'tall brown cabinet, on wheels, about 300+lbs and has a famopening on top
through which a pair of transmitting tubes (fins and nipples) are visible.
I have a pic.

Thanks.

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek