Re: primary tap construction

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 5/11/01 7:45:48 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<< Subj:     primary tap construction
 Date:  5/11/01 7:45:48 AM Pacific Daylight Time
 From:  tesla-at-pupman-dot-com (Tesla list)
 To:    tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

 Original poster: "Bill Vanyo by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<vanyo-at-echoes-dot-net>

 I can't seem to figure out a way to build a good solid primary tap
 connection that isn't so bulky as to nearly short the 1/4" gap between
 turns.  How heavy does the tap need to be?  It seems silly (to my
 limited intuition - this is my first coil) to have some skimpy clip
 device on such a heavy coil (1/4" tubing).  Also, how heavy should the
 wire that leads to the tap be?  If possible, would it be OK to just use
 1/4" copper tubing for the whole circuit, i.e. primary to cap, cap to
 spark gap, and spark gap to primary tap, all the same 1/4" tubing?

    Thanks,
    Bill

Bill,

You can certainly use the .25" dia copper tubing for interconnecting the
primary circuit components.  One of my coils is built like that.  I do use a
heavy multi strand conductor for the primary tap lead since it needs to be
flexible.  Both coils use a spring loaded clamp with a short piece of copper
tubing cut in two lengthwise and soldered to the clamps to nicely fit on to
the primary tubing.

Ed Sonderman