RE: Protecting NST's, was Secondary

Original poster: "Loudner, Godfrey by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <gloudner-at-SINTE.EDU>

Hi Mark and All

There are two identical potential transformers on bay with item # 1236112249
rated at 14.4KV/120V/1.5KVA. You can connect them in parallel for
14.4KV/3KVA. You can also look for a 14.4KV/5KVA pole pig---very nice for
tesla work. However even these PTs and pole pigs can be destroyed by tesla
work. I know someone who was running a tesla coil off a 10KVA pole pig, when
he decided to change to a 5KVA pole pig. He killed the 5KVA pig because he
forgot to shorten the spark gap. Using PTs and pole pigs is no guarantee
against transformer failure. The killers of transformers used in tesla work
are resonant rise and inductive kickback. You should study these at
http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/r.e.burnett/index.html.

Godfrey Loudner