Re: Perfect primary?

Original poster: "Peter Lawrence by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun-dot-com>

I have made many primaries, here's my trick. Straighten the wire as others
have suggested, then wind it on a tube about the size of your spiral, then -
 and this is the important part - get the wire to lay down in a smooth spiral
before threading it through the supports. Then don't thread the wire through
the supports, rather hold the wire in one position and thread the supports
onto it. Start from the outermost turn of the spiral and with what will
become the innermost hole in the support. You won't be able to bend the wire
that has already been threaded through the supports, so it must have already
been bent correctly before starting. Having the supports nailed down to a
board and then trying to thread wire through it will never work either. After
you've got about two or three turns threaded throught the supports you have
to adjust the outer diameter to be exactly what you want in the end, after the
first couple of turns it becomes impossible to alter the overall diameter.

happy coiling,
-Peter Lawrence.