Re: primary tap construction

Original poster: "Jason Petrou by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jasonp-at-btinternet-dot-com>

> I can't seem to figure out a way to build a good solid primary tap
> connection that isn't so bulky as to nearly short the 1/4" gap between
> turns.  How heavy does the tap need to be?

Use a clip from an arc welder - they work an absolute treat. If possible get
a really big one - looks better and there is less chance of it getting hot.
Once you have found the tuning point I solder on the tap  - If it needs
retuning (i.e. bigger tranny, topload, etc) then you can just unsloder
again!

>It seems silly (to my
> limited intuition - this is my first coil) to have some skimpy clip
> device on such a heavy coil (1/4" tubing).  Also, how heavy should the
> wire that leads to the tap be?

You can buy high voltage wire from places like maplins. Also for a low -
meium power coil Sign shops will sell you cable for transformers but it
doesnt come cheap. It usually costs about £1.60 / yard

>If possible, would it be OK to just use
> 1/4" copper tubing for the whole circuit, i.e. primary to cap, cap to
> spark gap, and spark gap to primary tap, all the same 1/4" tubing?

I wouldnt use 1/4" tubing for the whole thing - no insulation! I use some hi
voltage wire that is used for connecting up BIG neon signs! Also, tubing is
mode difficult to bend and being non-flexible it is difficult to move the
coil once the whole thing is assembled

Be safe,
Jason