RE: Secondary

Original poster: "boris petkovic by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <petkovic7-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> A secondary should be wound long enough to not arc
> end-to-end.  Based on
> this alone, the 30" option might be capable of
> longer arcs.
----
Speaking of which,I have been always puzzled by the
fact of secondary insulation surviving that (not
always but in many cases).
When arc from the top of the coil connect part of the
coil near its base,secondary insulation should be
breaking down  in that place on regular basis judging
by the thickness of common insulating materials  used.
Fotunatelly,many coils survive occasional hits to
their base via top arc,and the possibility for
breakdown increases with prolonged arcing time
suggesting more thermical breakdown than dielectric
breakdown.
The question:Anybody got an idea how high should be
potential difference between base turns  and head of
the attached arc to their insulation?
My estimation :about half  of the coil top voltage.
Arc model may be brought in question,though.

Regards