Re: Mississippi Mud Caps: Was, Barium Titanate Caps.

Original poster: "albert hassick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <uncadoc-at-juno-dot-com>

Hi Doctor Cadd, All.   Yes, the reason for trying to find a weld type
joint to the copper plate is so that the joint will withstand the higher
kiln fired temperatures(1,800plus degrees Fahrenheit), that we will use
with our next home brew cap.  The first one was only baked at 1,200
degrees F.  We would like to stretch the limit somewhat, but we do not
think our silver soldered 'Z' clip arrangement will withstand the higher
fire. This higher fire will entail an enameled coating to the clay slug
so that we can eliminate the tedious epoxy coating affair.  We were very
fortunate to have our first cap maintain its terminal conductivity with a
regular silver/tin compound.  The 'Z' clip form, embedded partially in
the clay substrate in the vicinity of the diamond cut terminal hole
before firing was a true stroke of luck.  Then again, maybe it is
duplicative, since the silver /tin compound , once soldered and
mechanically held in place with the imbedded 'Z' clip seems to have
worked rather well with the lower fired first capacitor. Al.

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/get/tagj.