Re: far fetched idea...

Original poster: "Scott Fulks by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <darkthing-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Scot D wrote:
> what about Cubic Zirconias???
> What if one were to mount a pair of these in some type of
> fixture at the end of a rod
> like structure to be used as a gap set???

This sounded interesting to me, so I just went and put a thousand volts DC
across a couple of cheap CZ rings.  There was no noticeable conduction at
all, even with the gem surfaces in full contact.  Certainly no arc.  I guess
the people who posted that crystals are generally insulators were right.

Regards,
Scott Fulks (darkthing-at-earthlink-dot-net)