Re: C of Earth...

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi Terry, Jim, All!

        One of the frequent problems encountered when trying to evaluate
historical events is the tendency to project our own age's knowledge and
understanding back onto an historical era. For example, since Wardenclyffe
was dismantled in 1917, it could not have been built to utilize any
characteristics of the earth or the atmosphere that were unknown prior to
1917.
        Oliver Heaviside and Arthur E Kennelly independently predicted the
existence of an electrically charged portion of the atmosphere in 1902.
However, it was not until 1924 that its existence was detected by Edward V.
Appleton. The term "ionosphere" was applied to the Kennelly-Heaviside layer
even later. It seems unlikely therefore, that Tesla was referring to the
ionosphere as we now know it, in his experiments either in Colorado Springs
or in the construction of Wardenclyffe. I suspect that he was referring to
that layer of the atmosphere in which thunderstorms originate. This is, of
course, unless one wants to credit Tesla with being the "true" discoverer of
every mathematical and scientific principle of the 19th and 20th centuries,
pre-empting everyone from Hertz and Heisenberg to Einstein and Oppenheimer.

Matt D.