Re: C of Earth...

Hi Jim,

At 08:35 PM 5/7/2001 -0700, you wrote:
snip...
>The Schumann resonance is a cavity resonance, i.e. 1 trip around the world
>takes about 1/7th second.  Too bad that it is pretty low Q, not because of
>losses, but because the cavity isn't very uniform.  Problem #1, the earth
>isn't a sphere (actually, trivially different distances, but there you are).
>Problem #2, the "waveguide" between ground and ionosphere is hardly of
>constant height (radically different in day and night, and mostly
>nonexistent at night (need that solar UV to ionize the air). Problem #3, the
>ground isn't all that consistent a conductor, and the effective dielectric
>constant changes, so the wave doesn't propagate at the same speed. Over
>seawater, epsilon is 80+, and conductivity is great. Over polar caps, not so
>good.

Yep!  The Schumann resonance thing looks "bad"  We could hope the
Californian's only need there air conditioners running in the day time, but
it looks like relying on the 7Hz frequency is not promising at all.  Having
the resistance of the vital ionosphere "link" in our system vary wildly
from day to night is a big unforeseen (by me) mess.  The "city" load is
going to mess terribly with the Q anyway so resonances my not be of much help.

>My handy calculation assumed a end electrode in the ionosphere equal in area
>to the cross section of the conductive path (i.e. 10 km x 1 km).  I suspect
>the resistance between points, or wires, or some reasonable sized thing, is
>somewhat higher.

I got ~~50k ohms in my other post.  Still not bad but certainly not as
wonderful as 10 ohms which would have left lots of room to handle other
problems, like "night".

>One would probably want to charge the system with some other scheme than a
>wire.  Why not use nuclear power in the form of fusion.  Energetic particles
>created in a fusion reaction, crossing the magnetic field lines of earth
>will create a very nice current/voltage pulse in the ionosphere.  It has
>been demonstrated ("Teak" shots from Johnston Island), to the point of
>transmitting significant power all the way to Hawaii, some several hundred
>km away, as well as producing a nice synthetic aurora that lasted several
>hours. The mere engineering details of smoothing out the somewhat pulsed
>nature of the power transmission are left as an exercise for the reader.

We do want to stay near Tesla's proposed system.  As my quote earlier
mentioned, Tesla was not keen on nuclear power ever working :-))  However,
the 80km high tethered balloons thing is going to need terribly serious
help.  If such a nuclear thing could shoot the power up there without the
tethers and such, that may be a vital thing...  I am not familiar with
these "Teak" shots but sounds super cool (got any URLs)!  Since the low
altitude resistance of the atmosphere will just create energy wasting
streamers ( ;-)) Getting up into the "conductive" ionosphere is super
important!!  I think "fusion" things are sort of difficult to maintain
24-7-365?? (moving to the Sun is not an option :-)))

I have not thought much about the ionosphere going and "loosing" our energy
like over the poles much.  That is not wanted...  Looks like the pure
resistance of the ionosphere link is bad enough.

This afternoon I was feeling sort of good about this possibly working.
Now, I am more concerned...

Cheers,

	Terry