Re: C of Earth...

Hi Jim,

Neat!  Assuming we are running 100MW at 20MV at 5 amps and assuming we can
loose 20% of the power on the way (we are desperate after all :-)), Ohm's
law says that the resistance needs to be less than 800,000 Ohms.  Thus 10
ohms would be great!  In fact, we could use the ionosphere as a very
conductive top load then with a giant capacitance to drive the frequency
down to the magic Shumman resonances if that is even needed.  That big one
at around 7Hz looks good:

http://image.gsfc.nasa.gov/poetry/ask/a10799.html

Having a very low resistance like 10 ohms is really important because when
the load of the city is put on the coil to transmitter voltage is going to
drop like a rock.  A prelude to horrible problem #2 :-))  The low
resistance may also be able to be sacrificed for a lower altitude since
getting tethered terminals up to 80kM is going to be a terrible problem
(#3) all in it's self.

I think the number 800uF was introduced for the capacitance so the
inductance needed is...  646mH  Not bad at all.  It would also appear that
the ground is conductive enough that we would not need the giant copper
ground strap.  If the low ionospheric resistance between our to terminals
hold true, then we can worry about the loading the city will place on our
system.  One must wonder with such low resistances if convention high
voltage equipment at 60Hz would do just as well...  DC current is probably
not an option due to the problems in transforming the voltages.  Would not
want to repeat Edison's mistake again :-))

Cheers,

	Terry