Re: Bug zappers

Original poster: "Matt Shayka by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <flyboxboy-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Yeah, i just started t get the tar out of one this weekend so i can get to
the shunts. It gives 4kV and 9mA, so you get 36w out of it. I want more
watts, so i put it in the Bar-B-Que and let it cook. ONE THING: Do NOT leave
it in upside down! I had it sitting upside down in an  Al tray and it melted
out and started to burn and it smelled like crap. Anyway, they are very
suitable for tiny coils, with or without removed shunts. By the way, is
there anyone out there who can explain how a shunt works?
           -Matt S.
P.S.-That epoxied thing is most likley a cap. If you really want, it could
be you tank cap if it has a decent resonant capacitance;-)