Re: X-ray film capacitors

Original poster: "Christopher Boden by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <chrisboden-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>Original poster: "Fred Bultman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
><royaloakmin-at-home-dot-com>
>
>Hi all
>
>With some of the recent discussion of home made capacitors, I decided to
>try to
>make my own. I used a 4x10 sheet of Kodak dental x-ray film, with a sheet
>of Al
>foil on each side. I tested it up to 15 kvac, and the discharge was very
>hot
>and loud. My only concern was what material the film is made out of. Could
>it
>be lossy at RF like Mylar? How many sheets would I need for 30nf?
>Thanks,
>Jim Bultman in MI

The Geek Group, has access to a LARGE amount of X-ray film sheets in the
standard sizes. Both dental (long spools of about 5" wide) and regular,
(about 12X18" or so...it's been a few years since I operated a process
camera, lol).

I'll ask around and get the exact compoud they're made from. I'll also put a
micrometer on a sheet. Anyone who wants to pursue this let me know, I'd be
happy to scrounge a bunch of film.

Remember, some films (I don't know if X-ray works this wa or not) contain
Silver Halide as the photoreactive chemical. Last time I checked silver was
a rather good conductor. This could have catastrophic results in a
capacitor.  But I don't know enough of the chemistry of X-ray photography to
really say. Anyone out there know?

Chris "Your packet-switched-electro-lithographic" Boden