Re: Questions about current

Original poster: "BunnyKiller by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <bigfoo39-at-telocity-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Matt S. by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<matt777777-at-hotmail-dot-com>

> Hi,
> I have a couple of questions I was wondering if someone could possibly
> answer for me.
> (I am in the process of launching off my first coil and am hoping to learn
> as much as possible as I go).
> I am fully aware of the basic nature of these questions an appreciate any
> indulgence.
>
> 1.  Is there any current 'lost' to corona?
>
> 2.  I understand that an NST is current limited.  Is it also a constant
> current kind of thing  -  i.e. when I'm only putting 80 volts to my 12/60
> NST, is it still supplying 60 ma?
>
> 3.  Is it out of the question to toss an old common analog current  meter in
> the output of my NST (before powering it up that is)-- (I'm trying to grasp
> the nature/% of the voltage drop across the internal components of the meter
> in relation to the nst/gap circuit... .......and probably missing some key
> point).
>
> Thanks,
> Matt.

Hi Matt...

yes   corona is a loss of useable current that can be applied to the toriod
to produce streamers

no ... when you drop the voltage into the transformer the output current
also drops in perspective
to the ratio of the windings...  e.g. 120V in = 60mA out   ergo 80V in =
40ma out   ( 80/120 =3/4
...  60X3/4 = 40)

# 3 ...   not a good idea    the voltage out ( sec side) will do damage to
the amp meter   place
the amp meter on the primary side and do the division to get an idea of sec
side out amperage and
losses.

Scot D