RE: Primary dummy-loading

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

Hi Richie:

Using a lamp and adjusting SRSG phase for maximum brightness as an
indicator of optimal phase is Brilliant!  That's exactly what I was
attempting, thanks for the idea.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

>Original poster: "R.E.Burnett by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <R.E.Burnett-at-newcastle.ac.uk>

>> I was wondering if anyone has come up with a way to dissipate the
bulk
>> of each primary bang in something less hazardous to my basement (and
me
>> and my scope) than streamers.  I was thinking of either some kind of
>> dummy load resistor in series with the primary ?

>The answer is YES !  Connecting a resistance in series with the
primary,
>(or instead of the primary)  works great to stop the sparks from the
>toroid while making adjustments to the gap.  It de'Q's the primary ;-)
>
>I posted a message about using linear halogen lamps to achieve this in
>1999, which I include again for reference:
>
>							-Richie Burnett,

>* 4. Lamp brightness provides an indication of power throughput.
>*    Adjusting rotary phase for maximum brightness may be a good
>*    alternative for those without a scope and HV leads.

<snip>