Re: vortex tube for static gap cooling

Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

I've used them a over the years in wwo basic applications: cooling machine
tools (where you have copious, free compressed air, it's a handy way to
blow really cold air on the mill cutter) and cooling electrical enclosures
(instead of a small airconditioner).  They take a LOT of compressed air,
but in some settings, you have lots of compressed air, and you don't want
to use electrical power for some reason.  If you are interested in cooling
stuff, it is more energy efficient, usually, to run a conventional
refrigeration unit with an electrically or mechanically driven compressor,
and use that to cool some convenient working fluid.

They can also make hot air, which is kind of handy sometimes, too.

They also have NO moving parts and essentially never wear out (unlike
mechanical refrigeration).