Re: litz wire

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "cougercat by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<felix1063-at-home-dot-com>

> Hello All,
>
> I am thinking about building a TC and would like to know if LITZ wire were
> used for the secondary, would overall performance improve?  Also - has
> anybody tried to use a TC to power an x-ray tube and if so - I'd like to
> know the gory details.
>
> Thanks
>
> --jeff

1. I think you will be dissapointed with a litz wire secondary.  I was.
Solid wire is much simpler and easier to use, and I think any presumed
advantage of litz is of zero impedance in TC's, where the operating Q is
quite low.

2. I have powered an old (circa 1910) "soft" X-ray tube from a small TC
with very good results (copius X-rays).  Just hooked it across the
secondary and "let fly".  The coil was capable of 24" + streamers.
Unfortunately, later punctured the seal on the tube while attempting to
excite it from a VDG and "all the vacuum leaked out".  Dumb accident, I
let a spark hit the tube at the point where one of the side electrode
tubes was sealed to the body.

Ed