Re: Tesla Coil Blunders

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

On 29 Mar 01, at 17:57, Tesla list wrote:

> <Parpp807-at-aol-dot-com>
>
> John, Matt,
>
> The DC resistance of my bipolar coil is
> 250 Ohms. The resistance mesaured by the B-K bridge at 1 kc is 270
> Ohms. What resistance is this? If it's not X sub L at 1 kc, how can I
> calculate it?
>
> Happy day,
> Ralph Zekelman

Hi Ralph,
           Making an accurate prediction of what value ESR will take
in a resonator prior to winding it depends on a lot of things, not
least an *accurate and correct model* of the resonator together with
its resonant frequency and a host of environmental factors. If one
views the coil as lumped using the "traditional" values for
inductance and Cself (Wheeler and Medhurst), then it is derivable
simply by knowing those two values and measuring Q as accurately as
you can:

ESR = SQRT(L/C)/Q

Otherwise you can use ESR = Xl/Q

Note that there is a frequency dependence implicit in both those
equations.

Regards,
malcolm