Re: liberating pigs-Part 2

Original poster: "Yurtle Turtle by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com>

That's nearly how I "liberated" my pig. My pig was
abandoned in the middle of the woods, with no wires
connected. It had a salvage tag on it, but apparently
was too difficult for the power company to retrieve.
The road right-of-way was later abandoned and went
back to the owner. The dirt "road" turned into a
forest.

I spent over a year scheming on how to lower the 14.4
kV, 25 kVA pig safely to the ground. Finally a friend
talked me into letting him cut it down. I climbed up
to the pig and attached a large rope, which was tied
off to a nearby tree. The pole cut quite easily, and
was lowered down as pretty as could be. Once it was
down, I couldn't wait until dark to retrieve it. So I
bribed another friend to help me transport it on a
hand truck down a steep slope and onto my truck. Quite
an adrenaline rush.

Adam

> Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz
> <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

<snip>

> The most
> frightening pig
> acquisition story I have is mentioning that I'd be
> willing to pay $100 for a
> pig  at the special effects shop where I used to
> work, and one of the
> younger guys with more guts than brains took it into
> his mind to grab the
> handy chain saw, some bolt cutters, and so forth. He
> ventured into the hills
> to "acquire" a pig for me. He figured that he could
> just chainsaw the pole
> and it would fall down, breaking the live wires, and
> he would then be able
> to leisurely (at night of course) chop the sucker
> loose.    It was quite the
> experience, from what I heard. All manner of
> problems: chainsaw binding in
> the pole, etc., and the net result being a pole
> slightly tilted hanging from
> the live lines... Thank god he didn't kill himself
> or start a brush fire.

=====
Adam Minchey
yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com