Chisel-edged electrodes (fwd)

Original poster: Tesla List Moderator <mod1-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 00:39:14 EST
From: Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Chisel-edged electrodes

Hi All!
         I encountered a reference in my old notes (1962) about chisel-edged
electrodes for a rotary gap. The leading edge is flat while the trailing edge
is tapered like a chisel tip.The rationale for this seems to be that the
tapered edge and narrow point reduces the time they are within arcing
distance of each other and this produces faster quenching. Has Anyone tried
anything like this?

         | |
          \|         ---> direction of movement

                 |\