Re: Idea for big VTTC

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 3/19/01 7:49:06 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Original poster: "Drew Murray by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <
> drewallmighty-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>
> I was thinking about how one could build a really big VTTC or SSTC while i
> was walking home from school today. the idea of building really large
> semiconductors or big vacume tubes came upon me. Is it possible that if one
> had a vacume pump and a vacume jar, could they construct a really big
> vacume
> tube for operation with a really big tesla coil. It would be interesting to
> see the odd sparks produced by VTTC on a larger scale. Just an idea! Lemme
> kow what you think.
>                                                      Curious,
>                                                      Drew Murray

Hi Drew & All!

The tube you are looking for is an RCA 5770 Power Triode. It's about 24.5"
long and 9.5" in diameter. It needs both water and forced-air cooling, but
with 17KV DC on the plate, it can output over 100KW! I know they were in
production 1949-1969, but I don't know about after that. If memory serves me
(and it doesn't always), I believe radio station WABC-AM (770) (NYC)  used
these through the early 1960s. I think one sold on eBay last year for around
$500, but if you can afford the power to run it, you can afford the tube and
the plumbing. Comments/enlightenment anyone?

Matt D.