Re: Solid State Gap

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Terry,

> >BTW - have you tried cutting the gap off at Ip
> >max (hint - interesting to test one or two old theories out there -
>
> :-)))  I will have to try that...  I ran through the cutoff range and
> didn't notice anything "odd" ;-))
>
> >watch the spikes ;)?
>
> IGBT's have lower high-current losses and the fancy reverse diodes cut
> down drastically on the usual spike problems.  The signals look
> perfectly clean so far.  Amazingingly clean in fact.  I never could
> get MOSFETs to work real well but these IGBTs seem to love this stuff.

Actually it has nothing to do with the switching devices as such. I
read this crazy idea once which suggested that if you cut the gap off
with all energy in the mag field, it would cohere in the secondary. I
tried this by cutting the gap off at the end of the first 1/4 cycle
and was rewarded with soaring drain voltages as the primary-induced
fields coupled themselves straight back to the primary (primary-
primary k being almost 1 and primary-secondary k being about 0.08.
      The log response in the primary shows normal resistance being
present and you can calculate Q using traditional formulae.

Cheers,
malcolm