Re: Certain s.s. phenomena; to J.F. et al

Original poster: "Kennan C Herrick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <kcha1-at-juno-dot-com>

[snipped]

...I prefer to run such
> that I can
> >  break out from the toroid if I use no breakout point.  But I have
> a feeling
> >  that I can still reduce the secondary turns and continue breakout
> from the
> 6"
> >  x 24" toroid.
>
> Do the sparks move around the toroid surface from place to place
> as the coil runs?  They do this on a spark gap TC with a smooth
> toroid.

Yes, they do.  Not "frantically" but seeming to pause near 1 spot or
another for brief periods.  And often I get 2 or more at the same time,
i.e. during the same pulse-burst.  That's surprising since I would have
thought that once the first one started, then all the energy would go
into that one.

Anyone have any light to shed on that?

[snipped]

> >  >Another interesting test would be to
> >  > install a much smaller toroid, maybe just 1 foot in diameter
> or
> >  > so, instead of the 26" toroid, (sort of a corona ring), and see
> if
> >  > this has any effect on the spark length and fatness.  Maybe it
> >  > would make the spark output longer.
> >
> >  Yes, but I prefer to keep the 6" x 24" in order safely to protect
> the
> > secondary from sparking.
>
> My guess is that the smaller toroid would protect the secondary
> just about as well.  Not too small though...  let's see.  Your coil
> secondary is 1 foot in dia (?).  Maybe a 4" by 16" toroid would be
> very
> effective also.  Even a 3" by 15" should be good.

Very likely.  I use 6" x 24" since that's the bulk-buy Landgren size.  A
number of people say the bigger the better in terms of making the spark
longer or fatter--but I don't see a whole lot of difference between the
smooth 6" x 24" and my prior 4" x 15" corrugated one.  My $190 may have
gone mostly for beauty.

[snipped]

Ken Herrick
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!