Re: Triggered spark gaps for coils

Original poster: "Dr. Duncan Cadd by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <dunckx-at-freeuk-dot-com>

Hi Gary, All!

All manner of possibilities:

http://www.magnavolt-dot-com/pulse.htm

http://www.samtech.co.uk/

http://home.san.rr-dot-com/nessengr/links.html

http://www.marconitech-dot-com/sparkgap/

The Magnavolt and Samtech pages show cooled gaps for high rep rate
(SF6 filling and water cooling coils).  The Ness Engineering page has
some excellent pulse links and the Marconi page . . . well, Marconi
was playing with spark gaps a fair while ago.  Nice to see his company
in Chelmsford still in business making them.  They've come a fair way
since quenched gaps for 1,5kW spark transmitters :-)

There are two neat pdf files ("preambles" - 2elec_sg.pdf and
3elec_sg.pdf) on the Marconi page for two electrode and three
electrode gaps.  Also a load of pdf files for each type of gap.  Of
the three electrode gaps, the GXG and GXT seem most suitable from what
they say regarding laser applications at 100+pps.  Note the lifetime
is related to the amount of charge transferred and that this is not
equal to the capacitor charge CV, but the integrated area under the
damped oscillation curve, i.e. good quenching makes a difference.

I can't help wondering what they cost!  Next thing you know we'll be
doing bulk spark gap buying ;-)

Dunckx