RE: Triggered spark gaps for coils

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

Hi Jim:

That's exactly what I was thinking, though not necessarilly at supersonic
speed.  I was going to modify my vortex gap (see
http://people.mediaone-dot-net/lau/tesla/vortexgap.htm)
by adding a small trigger electrode coaxially at the tip of one of the brass
reducer electrodes.  It seems that most commercial triggered gaps are sealed
and not rated for over 100 PPS.  I'm guessing that having moving airflow
will improve cooling (and quenching) allowing for greater PPS rates.

I'm also thinking that with the electrode configuration suggested by Bert
with the trigger electrode located and biased midway between the two main
electrodes, that the polarity of the trigger pulse needs to take into
account the polarity of the main electrodes, which in our case, alternates
between mains half-cycles.  This would make the trigger circuit more
complex.  Am I correct in thinking that with the configuration you describe,
the trigger polarity is unimportant, since it's the UV irradiation and
plasma that triggers the main gap into conduction?

Gary Lau
Waltham, MA USA