Re: good MMC? (different than first)

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "John Crighton by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <jcrighton-at-sia-dot-net.au>

> > In the "good old days" most capacitors weren't up to the
> > multi-millifarad range, and when they were the capacitance was expressed
> > in microfarads.  The other unit of capacitance was the micro microfarad,
> > one millionth of a microfarad, and commonly abbreviated as mmfd or uufd.
> >
> > Ed
>
> Hello Ed,
> where I come from in the world, Sydney,
> micro micro farads are called pico farads
> and as an abreviation, called puff or puffs,
> or for a bit more fun a  capacitor value of
> say 100pF may be described as  100 poofs.
>   :-)))
> Regards,
> John Crighton

	They "usta was" micromikes here.  They are now referred to as puffs,
but value hasn't changed!  Michael Faraday once wrote a very pointed
admonition that "One shouldn't confuse the names of things with the
things themselves", and I think the same applies to electrical units.

Ed