RE: VTTC provisional results

Original poster: "Herwig Roscher by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <herwig.roscher-at-gmx.de>

David Trimmell wrote:

> I would say very good results!

David,

Very good to read this from an expert!

> The separating sparks may be from increasing ripple in the filter
- The discharge looks like that obtained from a disruptive system
with the exception that the latter (at least mine) does not show
such blueish/whiteish seams along parts of the streamers. Do you
have an explanation for that? Could the current pulses into the tube
be too short? Or are these separating sparks the result of my small
tankcap (700 pF). Bert Hickman wrote that, like in disruptive
systems, the smaller the cap the smaller the bang.

I am using a 15µF/10 kVdc filter cap. If I disconnected it *for test* I
got a lot of 300 Hz noise from the discharge as expected. So the
reconnected cap seems to work. Unfortunately I have dismanteled
the components as I am about to reassemble them. Therefore I
cannot parallel the cap by another one (I have got some of these
beasties) at the moment. I shall make up for that later.

> One thing you could try for a former is to find some PE sheeting
- In my neighbourhood new pipes for natural gas are being burried.
In most cases yellow 6" pipes with thick walls are used, but maybe
I can find a piece of 8".

> Could you get some photos of this coil in action?
- Some weeks ago I mounted my camera onto a tripod and took a
series of pictures with different exposure times. For long times like
1 second the discharge looks like a very bright cloud nearly without
internal structure. As the time becomes shorter the cloud becomes
smaller and some branches step out. For very short times like
1/1000 second there are only a few tiny and short streamers
visible. So nearly all kinds of discharges could be shown, but in the
most cases the pictures differ from the impression you would get
by eye.

Regards,

Herwig