RE: Triggered spark gaps for coils

Original poster: "Basura, Brian by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <brian.basura-at-unistudios-dot-com>

Gary/all,

I had a discussion with Jim Lux and Kevin Ottilini last year and the
conclusion was a trigatron would probably need gas flowing through it to
quench properly at a significant break rate.  I plan to try it on a DC coil
(When I get back to my DC coiling activities and get those bugs worked
out). With a DC coil and a Trigatron I should be able to make my coil go
from single shot mode up to ??? break rate. Flowing a gas through it may
make it impractical though. Time will tell...

Preemptive response - A Trigatron is a triggered spark gap. You have two
electrodes similar to a standard spark gap then you introduce something
between the electrodes to trigger a breakdown. The trigger can be a smaller
arc, laser, etc. The ones I built use a motorcycle spark plug in the center
of one electrode as a trigger. I have some pictures posted at the following
url but they aren't directly related to Tesla Coils (although my long term
plan is to use one in a Tesla Coil application).
http://fp2.hughes-dot-net/brianb/pulse_discharge.htm

Regards,
Brian B.