Re: Space winding question

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>

> Ed -
>
> When it comes to TC computer programs you are a pessimist. Refer to my
> earlier posts regarding the difficulties of having users of the JHCTES
> programs inputing the correct data that truly represents their coils. The
> outputs of the JHCTES program are always correct only the inputs can be
> wrong. The calcs in the program are only simple arithmetic that the computer
> does correctly.
>
> I agree with you that the coilers should be familiar with the calcs. I also
> agree about the difficulty of using someone else's program. I believe that
> the JHCTES Ver 3.2 solves this difficulty by using the absolute minimum
> number of parameters (7) to solve the mandatory tuning condition of a Tesla
> coil. There are other TC limiting conditions and I am working on a computer
> program to include additional parameters.
>
> John Couture

John:

	I still think that anyone who can't handle the basic calculations is
likely to have trouble with the output of any such program, no matter
how much tender loving care went into it.  For someone who has enough
knowledge to interpret the results, computer programs are a great help,
particularly when one is doing a series of tradeoff designs.  In other
words, I don't really think you can or anyone else can write a program
that is guaranteed to give correct results in the hands of a novice who
has no understanding at all.  I totally agree that a good program cannot
make errors if the inputs are correct; once it has been "checked out" it
remains that way until someone fools with it.

	My engineering career has spanned the period from no computers and
limited desk top calculators to the present, and I still see young
engineers and analysts screwing up plugging numbers into someone else's
programs and getting garbage answers.

Ed